Sunday, June 28, 2015

Weaving and Getting Ready to Head Home

Today was our last day in Cusco and we spent it doing what would have made me very upset when I was younger. We sat in a weaving class for 6 hours. But today was actually very enjoyable. I thought that we were going to sit through a long lecture and then weave for a little bit but we sat down for 3 hours before lunch and 3 hours after lunch weaving not stop (under supervision of course). We learned the traditional Inca way of weaving which is a long and tedious process. It took a while to figure out how to make even straight lines but eventually I was able to figure it out. I stuck to weaving straight lines because I wanted to finish so that I could take back what I made as gifts. I also lacked the skills to make very intricate patterns. Our instructors were very patient but very particular too. Mine wouldn't let me continue if the slightest thing was wrong. She made me correct it and start from where I messed up. That really showed the pride that the Andean weavers had in their work. For them, weaving was a way of life. It is as essential as breathing and it left a big impact on me. 

As we get ready to head back to Lima, I am reflective my of time in Cusco, Ollaytantambo, and Machu Picchu. These locations have brought many highs and many lows but I'm so thankful for every moment on this trip (well almost. The stomach sickness was pretty rough). 

This is what I made today 

No comments:

Post a Comment